As a youngster, I would get home from School, get changed and go out to play with my pals.
Now I'm older, I get home from work, get changed and go out to play with my pals, but now I call it training.

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Track running

800m - 2:41
800m - 2:35        90 seconds rest between these
800m - 2:39

Long rest

1200m - 3:56
800m - 2:36         90 seconds rest between these
1200m - 3:50

Reasonable rest

800m - 2:37      90 seconds rest
800m - 238

And if you add all of that up it comes to Four and a half miles at an average pace of 5:14 per mile, which is 6 seconds per mile faster than I set out to do.

I was at the running track for this session. I'd heard from Milly that the Harriers coached group were doing 400s last week and I thought a few fast 400s would be good to do for a change as long as I was thoroughly warmed up first from doing some 800s. They were doing 1200s though so it didnt really work out. I did my 3x 800 first on my own while they were warming up then I joined them for their first 1200. Unbelievably they then had a TWELVE MINUTE rest which gave me time to do another 800 before joining in with the 1200 again. Then after a brief pause I completed my final two 800s.

Excellent training as far as I am concerned. 7200 metres of hard effort running. Ideal for a long distance runner/racer such as myself. Although I didn't express my opinion at the track, I fail to see how doing just two 1200 metre efforts can be worthwhile training for anything other than 800-1500metres racing. Fair enough if it was the second run of the day or if it was youngsters but for adults one of the two main sessions of the week?

And finally a mention for Iain Kelly. My good pal from Askham who WON the Shap ultra last weekend. In a new record time he ran up and down the main street of this cowboy town 50 odd times back and forward back and forward to cover the 100km.
Good old Iain - out of the boozer - win the 100km race - back in the boozer for last orders

No comments:

Post a Comment