As a youngster, I would get home from School, get changed and go out to play with my pals.
Now I'm older, I get home from work, get changed and go out to play with my pals, but now I call it training.

Friday, June 11, 2010

Race Report -no photos, no funnies

Carlisle Tri Club 10 kilometre road race - 35 minutes 18 seconds

Not a bad result  really.  I wanted and expected to run  faster than I did at the Moorclose event a couple of weeks ago - and I did. 28 seconds faster actually, which, divided by 6.2 gives an improvement of four and a half seconds per mile to 5:41 pace.

As soon as we set off the three Keswick runners who all beat me at Moorclose formed a lead group. I saw no point in going with them as even the slowest of the three - Ian Davies - had beaten me by over a minute last time out. I was in the next group on the road and had Milly and Gareth for company as well as one or two others who I didn't know.

From the outset I was enjoying myself running this race. It was the fastest I had ran for many years and I knew it from early on. I knew most of the marshals and had time to shout a bit of banter as we ran past. I was also giving some grief to Milly for obviously being very fit despite saying he had packed in training.

Halfway or so into the race, one lad pulled away slightly from our group - he ran well and deserved the Fourth place he hung onto until the end. Me, Milly and Gareth stayed together until a mile to go - casting aside one by one the others who had been with us  (although I never really looked round so I don't know how many there were with us earlier). Once we were into that final mile the gloves were off apparently as first Gareth then Milly eased past me. It would be a bad job if these two lads, (both more than 10 years younger than me) WERENT able to outrun this old timer over a mile, both coming from a track background as they do (and Milly now saying he wants to improve his short distance times).

We all ran 35 minutes something. That elusive 34 which was on the cards for a lot of the race, just being eased out of reach in the final headwind mile or two.

I won fastest Vet 40 and receieved a rather excellent running top which I wore tonight for a few miles jogging with Scamp. Last night I did nowt and spent a while longer at work to get some stuff done.

No comments:

Post a Comment