As a youngster, I would get home from School, get changed and go out to play with my pals.
Now I'm older, I get home from work, get changed and go out to play with my pals, but now I call it training.

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

A good Marathon result (if it was 4 miles further)

Set off on Sunday without any real plan of what I wanted to do. Start out with Plucky and his missus Gill, certainly, but then possibly cut short and run home faster. It was quite a nice day for running - cloudy, warm(ish) and with little breeze. The early miles were all uphill and apparently we were doing about 7:30 pace at the four mile marker. It seemed very easy (as it should) and at the nine mile point when Gill turned for home I decided to run on with Plucky, as I still felt very fresh indeed.  I expected to become tired and possibly even to struggle after 15 miles or so but the pace was so gentle that I felt absolutely fine all the way through to the end. Maybe five miles or so from home Plucky upped the effort somewhat and indeed I could tell that I too was running harder. This only lasted for ten minutes or so. I think he soon tired, and the final couple of miles were as easy as any part of the previous 20 had been. To be fair to Plucky he had done 103 miles cycling and 30 mins running the previous day, whereas I had only done about 9 miles easy in Gelt, so there was little to crow about managing this so easily compared to him.  Presuming 7:30/mile was our average (and it certainly would not have been any  slower) we ran 22 miles in the 2hrs 45 mins. Good to know that 6 weeks or so after the marathon I am still quite able to complete such long runs as this without difficulty.

Monday was a very easy 4 miles of the riverside pathways with Scamp.

No comments:

Post a Comment