As a youngster, I would get home from School, get changed and go out to play with my pals.
Now I'm older, I get home from work, get changed and go out to play with my pals, but now I call it training.

Monday, July 20, 2009

The LONG road

Yesterday I ran continuously for the longest time I ever have. Four hours, with only a couple of very brief stops for essentials. The idea was preparation for the Lakes 50mile ultra race in two weeks time.

The first 19miles comprised 3laps of a very hilly road circuit I have used for many years. The pace was a good 10minutes per 50minute lap slower than when I was training hard for marathons but this was the whole idea - to train at a pace which I am likely to run at in the 50miler.

I was MUCH MORE tired after this 4hr run than any of the 5 and 6 hours fellruns I have done. The walking sections up the steepest fells obviously allow some recuperation from the weight bearing encountered when running constantly. I ate regularly throughout the 4hrs and didn't feel I was low on blood sugar at any stage, I just had wrecked legs! Of course, the start was less than 36 hours since I finished Fridays BGR Leg1 so this would account for some of the fatigue. I now plan to walk the steeper sections in the 50 in a bid to complete it in decent shape.

Resting up today (Monday). Feeling a bit run down to be honest but the only hard run this week will be a hilly 6mile race on Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment