As a youngster, I would get home from School, get changed and go out to play with my pals.
Now I'm older, I get home from work, get changed and go out to play with my pals, but now I call it training.

Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Good training day

Today was a good training day. As it wasn't terribly hot for a change, I decided to do my 13 mile run. I was joined my Plucky for this. Milly was unsure he would manage the pace so trained alone.
Plan was for anything under 7min miling - not difficult to achieve but the emphasis was on heart rate, keeping it low rather than blasting away for the fastest time possible.

According to the Garmin we ran at 6:58 per mile. Pulse was an average of 154 and didn't raise above 155 until the final third of the run - ideal.

The reason for these 'slow' longish runs is because I dont want to get straight back to the sub-6:30 12 to 16 mile efforts that form pre-marathon training. With very long runs/races in the coming months I would prefer to run 7 pace every week and look for a lower pulse each time rather than run faster each week for a high pulse. This should build upon my base which I feel is as good as it has ever been.

Tomorrow will be something much faster.

No comments:

Post a Comment