As a youngster, I would get home from School, get changed and go out to play with my pals.
Now I'm older, I get home from work, get changed and go out to play with my pals, but now I call it training.

Sunday, July 12, 2009

BGR Leg 2

Seems like an age since I ran on the fells. Skiddaw race last week was good training but not particularly enjoyable in terms of the scenery. Today the weather was good and the views quite spectacular throughout the day. As we headed away from Threlkeld I glanced at magnificent Blencathra directly behind us, my favourite mountain.

Popsy was with me today. Its over a year since we first ran leg 1 together. That day was his idea, and despite him never really getting back to the fells since, that day was the start of my interest in the BGR.

First ascent on Leg 2 is Clough Head, a tough start. I had made notes of the time taken between the peaks for a 24hour schedule and despite some 10seconds breathers for Popsy we made the summit 10mins up on this pace. A great start, continuing in the same manner as we progressed South. By the time we were ascending Fairfield Popsy was tired and had slowed notably. I was feeling weary too but knew I still had a long time to run as I was planning to return to Threlkeld on foot.

We reached Dunmail after 3hrs 55 mins which is something like 19:30 pace for a full round! Probably too fast for proper BG training but it seemed OK at the time - walking hard uphill and running easy on the flat and downhill.

The 9 miles back on my own were tough. At first I followed the fellside track constructed by UU. This was very undulating so I seemed to be walking more than running. Then, by the time I reached the St John In The Vale road I was really knackered and admit to walking when often the road was flat. As I neared Threlkeld I rallied a little and lowered the average for that section to just under 10min miling.

23 miles, good crack, great views, great weather and some more experience and knowledge of the 'Round'.

No comments:

Post a Comment