As a youngster, I would get home from School, get changed and go out to play with my pals.
Now I'm older, I get home from work, get changed and go out to play with my pals, but now I call it training.

Thursday, May 27, 2010

So will this

5 miles hard - under 30 minutes


Just prior to leaving the house I had to take down my garden umbrella lest it blow away in the wind. So I knew we were in for a tough time during one half of the run. By we I mean me and Darren, who I met near the start point.

Bearing in mind that I wanted to run just inside 6 minute miling, a tailwind as we set out meant we had to aim higher to allow for a slower return leg in to the headwind. I thought 5:45 would be about right and at the 2 mile marker my watch showed 11:36. Spot on.

We turned when Darrens Garmin showed 2.5 miles covered and I timed the same 2 mile section on the way back. If it took 12:24 the average would be 6:00 so I was hoping to be only a few seconds over 12 minutes. I was amazed to be finished in 11:42. Only 6 seconds longer than with the tailwind, though it was marginally downhill back. This gives a four mile time of 23:18 (5:50 pace). Darrens Garmin showed a discrepancy between the mile markers but my time for 5 miles by his (it's) reckoning was 29:40 (5:56 pace). Under 30 minutes then, whichever I believe.

In about 6 weeks time this run will be a weekly occurrence and will build from 6 miles to eventually 10 miles, so I am pleased to have achieved the target pace today. Next week I may do 6 miles. The week after that will be a 10k event which I in which I think I should achieve 5:40 pace (35mins 13 seconds)

No comments:

Post a Comment