As a youngster, I would get home from School, get changed and go out to play with my pals.
Now I'm older, I get home from work, get changed and go out to play with my pals, but now I call it training.

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Pluckys arse

Initially I was happy enough with my time of 35:48 for tonights 10k race. I had hoped to be nearer 35:30 but I thought I'd done OK. But then I received some criticism from Plucky who suggested my result was rather short of the mark and my aim of running sub 35 later in the year was also too soft a target.

Now clearly I would love to be regularly running 34 minute 10k's again but i am realistic and I know this isn't likely to happen when I train so specifically for marathons. I have no doubt I could get well into the 34s if I concentrated my efforts on shorter, faster workouts, but any 34 would be my fastest time in about 4 years or so, so I think the criticism is a little harsh.

If I enter 35:48 in a race time predictor it spits out a 2:44:30 prediction for a marathon, which is very close to the time I was heading for until I fell apart at 20miles in London.
Enter my actual time for London and it predicts 36:22 for 10k. My faster time tonight proves that I didn't run to my ability in London, especially as you would never really hope to run both a marathon and a 10k to your ultimate potential within just 3 weeks of each other.
Heres another result from the predictor. 34:59 for a 10k gives a marathon of 2:40:51. Both those times are within a few seconds of my ultimate aim for those distances this year, so I reckon my targets are spot on (and perhaps, ultimately out of my grasp this year).

No comments:

Post a Comment