As a youngster, I would get home from School, get changed and go out to play with my pals.
Now I'm older, I get home from work, get changed and go out to play with my pals, but now I call it training.

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

What do people do at 530?

I changed into my running gear at work, put my clothes, wallet and phone etc into the van for someone else to take home for me, and set off for my midweek-long-run at 4:03. Even with 10 minutes added to last weeks run, and a couple of minutes on top of that due to not being quite all the way home after 70, I was in the house by 5:20 - training finished, Scamp walked.

On the one hand its great to be finished,  but now I'm at a loss what to do for the next couple of hours. If it was light I could chop some firewood or tidy the garden.  What do that vast majority of people-who-get-home-soon-after-5-oclock-but-dont-go-training do?

One day earlier it was track night again. I was a little disappointed to find the club coach had us doing 1200m efforts instead of the 1600m of the previous two weeks. Had I known I might have considered doing miles on my own an hour sooner, as its quite a wait for me and I cant really just walk Scamp for the whole time - after an hour walking and climbing fences, down river banks etc I feel ready for a brief rest before then training hard.

My time for the 4, three lap reps was (min/mile pace in brackets)
3:54 (5:12)
3:48 (5:04)
3:52 (5:11)
3:54 (5:12)
Apart from that second one, I wasnt quite as close to the Milly group as last week. I felt quite tired for these and was pleased to be running a mile less than last week. Next week will be 1200s again so I might stay away from the track and get out at 4pm and do 4x1mile then walk/jog with Scamp as a warm down

The day prior to that was an easy 45 mins with the lads and the day before that - Sunday- I had really enjoyable run round Gelt Woods with Plucky for 70 minutes.

Not recording how far I run (save from mentioning it here), I just added up the last couple of weeks in my head. 55-60 miles per week at present. Quite a lot for an old timer like me - I need to schedule an easy week soon, perhaps 5 days either side of the Buttermere race would be good, (though I know racing one of Britains toughest 20m+ events isn't exactly taking it easy).

No comments:

Post a Comment