As a youngster, I would get home from School, get changed and go out to play with my pals.
Now I'm older, I get home from work, get changed and go out to play with my pals, but now I call it training.

Saturday, January 7, 2012

On the fourteenth day of Christmas,

I ran fourteen miles. Day 365 will be tough

Actually it was 16 miles today but only 14 were timed, with a mile jog to/from the start point. This was to be a bit of a test to see where I was in terms of ability at this point some 15 weeks out from the Marathon.
A tailwind start wasn't ideal as I knew I needed to be pressing on to gain time that would be lost later, but, with no wind in my face the sweat poured down from my temples and I overheated quickly. I was on about 6:17 pace which was OK I guess, but once I turned at 7 miles the headwind made its presence felt with several miles over 6:30 being recorded. The last 4 miles were horrible but I simply pushed ever harder to cross the line in 1:29:30 which is 6:24 per mile.

Windy times
Not having 'officially' started my proper marathon training schedule yet I am quite happy with that result. Next week I will return to the long slow stuff with at least 18 miles at (hopefully) sub 7.

Since last weekends race I only ran twice prior to today. Both times were for one hour with Plucky. Its not measured and we neither have a Garmin but Im sure it would be no slower than about 6:35 pace - it certainly felt quite brisk and coupled with being at night and through the town, dodging cars etc, both were very worthwhile runs.

No comments:

Post a Comment