As a youngster, I would get home from School, get changed and go out to play with my pals.
Now I'm older, I get home from work, get changed and go out to play with my pals, but now I call it training.

Monday, January 2, 2012

A racing start to 2012

So far in 2012....

Races - One
Days - Two
Pounds paid out to enter races - Five
Race position - Seven
Miles ran  - Eight
Standards - Nine
Pounds won in race prizes - Fifty

I didn't expect much of the Nine Standards Fellrace really. It was simply a means of getting a tough run under my belt for training purposes. I ran 14 miles the day before it, cut back from 16 to avoid being too tired to race, but at a decent 6:45 pace nevertheless.

After the initial melee to get through the twisty streets and lanes and out of the town onto the quiet road that sees the climbing start in earnest I was in 10th place.



I easily moved up the field when we got to a short downhill section still on the tarmac, and was in 5th at one stage. Once the fell proper was underfoot I was re caught by a few runners, two of whom stayed ahead of me to the end. It took a bit of daredevil descending by me to stay on the shoulder of multi fell champion Pippa Madams, but I knew I would leave her behind once we regained the tarmac. A few glances over my shoulder in the last 2 miles allowed me to see I was being chased down by several lads. Nobody actually caught me but its a bit disappointing to not have stretched my lead and came close to catching those ahead, especially as I am supposed to be first and foremost a road runner and the last two miles were on  tarmac.

I had a strange niggle in my right leg whilst walking Scamp before the race and considered not running at all. It hurt a bit whilst running uphill but running the 4 miles downhill I more or less forgot about it until I finished when it hurt LOADS more. I knew it was just some soft tissue tendinitis, not skeletal, so I figured a days rest and some ice would be all that was needed to sort it. Today I cant feel it at all, though my legs are quite tired generally.

It seems weird seeing the photos of me in my Keswick AC vest. I joined as a second claim member because Border Harriers have no real fell presence. The £6 pounds to join the club and £19 for the vest I paid out has been exactly reimbursed with a £25 prize for first team yesterday. I also got £25 for 2nd vet 40. Nobody enters races for the prizes, lets face it they are usually comprised wine and biscuits and sometimes sports shop vouchers, but if they were as good as this every time it would almost be worth turning pro.




Million thanks so Penriths Stu Stoddat for the race photos

1 comment:

  1. "dare devil descending"
    it was a slope at best!!

    Nice photos tho.

    ReplyDelete