As a youngster, I would get home from School, get changed and go out to play with my pals.
Now I'm older, I get home from work, get changed and go out to play with my pals, but now I call it training.

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

(Crash Bang) Wallop

Sometimes when out running, something noteworthy happens. For instance I might see a Heron take to flight from it's riverbank perch. Sometimes something noteworthy and rare happens, such as coming across two young deer in the middle of the road on the Talkin circuit. then sometimes something noteworthy, rare and really quite worrying happens. Such a thing happened earlier this evening.

I was running steadily along the pavement, facing the oncoming traffic. on the opposite side of the road was a filling station. A car coming towards me slowed right up and stopped in the road to turn right, into the filling station. Another car also came to a stop behind the first one as there was insufficient room to pass. I took no real interest in the situation until approx 2 seconds after I had passed by when

Wallop

The car turning right had began to turn right and had been hit by an oncoming vehicle. Immediately prior to the crash I had heard tyre noise but I'm not sure if it was the oncoming car braking frantically or the right-turning car wheelspinning to try to get across quickly.

The drivers were out of the cars and appeared uninjured. Now I'm not a doctor but I'd say both cars are now scrapyard fodder. I couldnt say whether the oncoming car was going too fast, and thats why the right turner failed to make the gap, or if the right turner didnt see the oncomer, or possibly even faltered/stalled as he tried to make the gap.

As I jogged on I did think to myself that such an incident could easily happen to any of us at any time and might not necessarily be any fault of our own.

The remaining few miles of my run wer rather less eventful with just a Flock of Pink Flamingos roosting on a bend of the River Eden and a herd of Wilderbeast roaming across Rickerby Park

Oh, by the way - 4 Days until London Marathon


No comments:

Post a Comment