As a youngster, I would get home from School, get changed and go out to play with my pals.
Now I'm older, I get home from work, get changed and go out to play with my pals, but now I call it training.

Sunday, May 20, 2012

good and bad (in reverse order)

Thinking I was more or less over this bout of mild poorlyness I decided a decent 10 miler would be a good run to do. I met up with Mikey Scott at the silly hour of 730 on Saturday morning to run the Crosby 10 loop. Plan was get to 2 miles at a jog then run hard for 5 miles. The cold East wind was still blowing against us for the first half of the run but I was nevertheless disappointed to be only clocking 6;15 and 6:26 for the first two hard miles!!

A mile later and after a severe talking to myself about concentrating on the running and not the chatter, I was no faster but my lungs were by now burning. Clearly I was still suffering from the effects of the bug/virus/whatever it is I have. I persevered but was mighty pleased to get to the end of the 5 mile hard section.

By the time got home after the full 10 (65:59) I felt bloody awful. Drained and ready to drop. Luckily I don't think I set myself back in terms of recovery. It was just a bit too tough a session to attempt at that stage and perhaps 8 miles with a couple of 2 mile reps would have been more sensible.

The reason I say I dont think I did much harm is because of how well todays run went....

I ran the Fairfield Horseshoe. A 9 mile route which is a well known fell race (or two).

The steepest part is probably the first climb, up Nab Scar. I ran most of this, only walking briefly on the steep section that also featured big steps that are tricky to bound up. I was expecting to walk more but, perhaps due to the light tailwind,  it felt OK to jog along all the way to Fairfield summit.

From Fairfield there is only a little climbing to do and A LOT of descending, and none of that is technical so you can really get a shift on and get into the groove. The ground was perfect for me - wet but not flooded or too muddy - just enough give to let your feet get a decent plant, so I could let fly down leaps and drops, confident my foot would stay where it landed.

Considering I was only really joggin along, I visited every summit (the race doesn't visit them all unless you inadvertently stick to the footpath), had to fiddle on for ages with an awkward latch on a gate, stopped for a long pee (me) and a short poo (Scamp), I was amazed and delighted to take only 15 minutes longer than my best race time. I think Scamp may actually now hold the dog course record


Dont be looking at Scamps willy - haha,  now you can't stop looking at it can you









No comments:

Post a Comment