As a youngster, I would get home from School, get changed and go out to play with my pals.
Now I'm older, I get home from work, get changed and go out to play with my pals, but now I call it training.

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

theres a definite lull...



I'm running every day, doing some hard(ish) stuff, but just not 'pinging' like usual.

If there has to be a time when things take a downturn then now is a good time as any as there is nothing terribly important coming up in terms of races.

Last night at the Derwent AC organised 10k I was a long long way behind where  I know I should have been. The first mile is generally uphill but not terribly steep so I was disapointed to take 6 minutes exactly to cover it the next mile had plenty of downhill but I was on 6:00 again. The third mile featured the incredibly steep climb up the golf course so the time is irrelevant, but later on, when I had a 100% downhill mile with very light headwind, I only ran 5:40!!

Running the second half of this race in the company of Des ' Dezzy' Morris I wanted to ensure I got third place so I kicked hard with 4 minutes left to run. This did the trick and I pulled clear of him. It also gave me a more respectable pace of 5:37 for the final 1.2 miles which were mostly, but not all downhill. 

My time of 38  mins is only 6:07 pace. Two weeks ago, in the Keswick Half marathon, I ran 6:05 pace for over twice this distance and with probably more elevation per mile. Clearly I can't have become so much less fit in that short time so I shouldn't really be worrying as Im sure things will pick up again soon.

I'm thinking of going to Lancaster this weekend to run the 5k race. If it went well (I would consider anything inside 17 minutes to be good enough) then I would be bolstered and confidence renewed, but if I'm still not quite right and don't get near the mark then I'll just feel even more frustrated. I can decide nearer the time - easy run Wednesday and speed session Thursday to be done before then.


Scamp didnt do the 10k - he was resting in the van after much swimming

No comments:

Post a Comment