As a youngster, I would get home from School, get changed and go out to play with my pals.
Now I'm older, I get home from work, get changed and go out to play with my pals, but now I call it training.

Friday, May 25, 2012

Melvin Hayes

Plucky says the route we ran on Wednesday is 10k. If that's correct we ran 6:20 pace. If it's only 6 miles then we ran 6:30 pace. Either way it was a half decent pace for what felt like a pretty easy run.

Thursday was red hot again. The last thing I really wanted to do in such conditions was a hard run, but if those fellas managed to wear full make up and dresses just to keep morale up, then I'm sure I can manage to run a couple of miles. Plus, its scarcely a fortnight since we were still struggling with how cold it was!



I think the track training sessions with the club are too short and fast for me - the week I missed was 5 by 500metres!! So I decided to do my own 'fast session' but build into it... I ran a mile rep as a kind of warm up.  In 5:47. Then I ran two, half mile reps at an average pace of 5:20 per mile. Then I ran a 400m rep in 70 seconds (4:40 pace). I was well chuffed with 70 seconds and decided that as my next rep was also to be the last of the session I would go all out to do 70 again. It was marginally uphill though and took me 72. Disappointed with myself for not hitting 70seconds I then  added another 800m effort to finish the session (and make it 3 miles of effort in total).

I have elected NOT to go to Lancaster tomorow night for the 5k race. Instead, a tough training session in the early morning before it gets hot will allow me to then enjoy the rest of the day in the sun without worry about getting dehydrated or using up too much energy.

No comments:

Post a Comment