As a youngster, I would get home from School, get changed and go out to play with my pals.
Now I'm older, I get home from work, get changed and go out to play with my pals, but now I call it training.

Friday, October 22, 2010

Light, tunnels, and the end

Yes its nearly time to go for a run. The advice was to quit for 7 to 8 weeks and it was me that decided to wait until 6th November even though thats almost 9 weeks. So I have decided that I will take my first running steps a few days earlier. Monday November 1st will be exactly 8 weeks from my previous run and that is the day I will resume.

Not that I'll be doing 10 miles hard or owt daft like that on the first day. I will begin by running for no more than 15 minutes on grass. That 15mins will be within a one hour walk with Scamp so it wont be a sudden bolt out the door and back home again. The next day I will not run. Then I will run for 20 mins and possibly two days in a row. I intend to go on like this throughout all of November, gradually building up the time on my feet and consecutive days until eventually I'm back on the road and on a 5 day week.

December will see me move back to 6 days training per week and then at Christmas it will be all out for London 2011.

All of this is of course presuming that when I resume running there is no problem with my leg. I don't think there will be, but its always a worry, and until about 12 months after recovery I always get scared whenever I feel ANY slight niggle even remotely close to where the problem was.

Sorry photo fans but despite taking many thousands during the last few weeks I don't have anything suitable to accompany this post.

2 comments:

  1. Glad to hear that you are starting running again soon!
    Can I offer a bit of advice that came to me by my friend and super Vet Steve james.
    he advised me that when returning from injury run on grass [like you say] but split this into run walks, ie 1 min run-1 min walk for say 10x then next time increase this to say 3 min run- 1 min walk etc.
    also maybe take a protein drink after training runs, to improve bone strength!
    good luck

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good idea Rick. Doing that I will feel like ive been out for a much longer run. Im also looking into this 100 day plan you advocate. GIve me a shout on

    office@athletesinaction.co.uk

    and we can discuss the merits

    ReplyDelete