As a youngster, I would get home from School, get changed and go out to play with my pals.
Now I'm older, I get home from work, get changed and go out to play with my pals, but now I call it training.

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Slave to the stopwatch

With Saturday being a rather easy weekend I was keen to get some training done on Monday. I even managed to get the dogs walked early, get changed and was heading out the house by 1620hrs. As it was still light I was able to run my summer 10mile circuit which goes out into the countryside. I took a headtorch which was handy for about 200m of busy A-road on my way back into town. I imagined I would run 10 miles in 70 minutes, but just before I began I decided I may as well blast it, thus completing one of the two 'session' runs of the week.

I deliberately set my Garmin to show heartrate only and tried to keep it just on or above 160 bpm. About halfway I changed the display and was delighted to see I had ran 6:10 pace up to that point. The return was mildly headwind and featured more inclines. This slowed the pace a little to 6:13 for the distance. The average pulse of 162 is actually 1 beat lower than last weeks marathon pace effort which was only 5 miles and which I ran at 6:20 pace. A great result.

Changing the routine to a Monday meant that on Tuesday either I had to run hard again with Milly, or run easy leaving him to train alone. I felt OK so I joined him doing 5 x 1mile.

The venue was a street circuit that includes four 90 degree turns and a small incline. Compared to the track I estimate this to be 2-4 seconds slower (including the 9 metres more than 4 laps of the 400m track that makes a mile) After easing into the session with 5:41 I banged out three good efforts of 5:31 5:29 5:30. Early into the fifth my legs went to jelly and I struggled to hold form, resulting in 5:42. Certainly can't complain about these times.

Tonight we were due for the easy pace 10. Unfortunately it snowed immediately prior to setting off so as well as wearing a jacket which lead to me overheating (again), we had to take extra caution to avoid slipping. I wasn't enjoying the run very much and it felt a labour so I cut it short at 8.5 miles.

Milly still has the marathon pace 10 to do this week, so if I feel like it i will tag along tomorrow to round off a great week of training

No comments:

Post a Comment