As a youngster, I would get home from School, get changed and go out to play with my pals.
Now I'm older, I get home from work, get changed and go out to play with my pals, but now I call it training.

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Same old same old

Saturdays run went OK. On paper it was my best long run of the year so far - the average pace was a high (or should that be low?) of 6:56 and the average pulse was just 155. The thing is I didn't feel particularly good for most of the second half of the run though. As of two weeks ago I wanted to really blast the final 10miles, but I just didn't have it in my legs. Nevertheless I did perform a significant negative split which they say is the best way to run a marathon.

Sunday and Monday as usual were devoid of running - not ideal to miss 2 days training every week in the run up to a serious marathon, but as long as we do the long run on Saturdays I don't feel happy to run any distance on tired legs the next day. Then Monday could only ever be a few easy miles (due to Tuesday being the hardest run of the week), so I tend to take advantage of an evening off and walk extra with the dogs or get jobs done at home.

Today, Tuesday, I was on my own for 5 miles marathon pace. A bitterly cold day today. I should have worn some leggings but I am always worried about overheating. The 5 flew in. Seemed like nowt. 6:21 per mile. 1 second over target pace. Good enough.

I have entered a 20 mile race at Lancaster on 14th March. Also the Haweswater Half on March 7th. I fancy having a look through to Maryport this coming Sunday for a hilly 10mile event too. To be honest this is too much racing but I shan't be going flat out at any of them. The 20 mile event especially will be a data gathering exercise. Hopefully running at 6:25-6:30 pace and with a heartrate inside what I could sustain over the full 26mile distance.

No comments:

Post a Comment