As a youngster, I would get home from School, get changed and go out to play with my pals.
Now I'm older, I get home from work, get changed and go out to play with my pals, but now I call it training.

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

10 days until the marathon

I'd said in my last posting that the 16 mile final long run of the campaign  should be easy pace and hopefully that would turn out to be about 6:45 pace. I ran it with little Mike Scott who, for all his fitness and speed, is not currently doing much by way of long runs. It was therefore quite comical at times to be running along at a leisurely conversational pace with his conversation mostly relating to how tough he was finding the run. We finished with 6:44 per mile and Mike went home to bed for the rest of the day.

Next day I was up and out the house by 7: 45am for a leisurely 7 miler along the river route with Daz. Then on Tuesday I travelled through to Keswick after work to run a particular offroad route with Plucky. The route was basically a circle around Catbells fell. Plucky is doing a Duathlon race the same day as London Marathon and wanted to practice on the course. In total we ran for 70 mins - it was a hard run, at times, flat out! It was also the last time I will run so long or so hard before the marathon.

Oh, one more small matter to report - the day after I last wrote here, I went for a jog with Gareth around  the fields and tracks near his house. I failed to spot some barbed wire half buried in the ground and somehow managed to flick it up between my legs, in the process tearing a number of horrific looking gashes across the back of my right calf. At the time I continued with the run as we had only done about one mile by then and anyway, I always try to run off things like ankle twists, knocks and cuts in case stopping allows swelling.  Although a bit of a worry initially and certainly not ideal in the last 2 weeks pre marathon, it doesn't seem to have had an adverse effect during the runs done since then and by the marathon it will be mostly healed up again.

No comments:

Post a Comment