As a youngster, I would get home from School, get changed and go out to play with my pals.
Now I'm older, I get home from work, get changed and go out to play with my pals, but now I call it training.

Sunday, March 25, 2012

not the droids I was looking for

Striving for a 34 minute 10k again has been on my to-do list for the last couple of years. It was never likely to happen today if I'm honest - I'm in the thick of training to run 20 miles more than that distance - but that didnt stop me glancing at my watch every 1k to see how close to 3:30 (35 minute result) I was running them. Bloody loads slower was the answer!
The day was warm. I'd say hot, but it never really gets hot in Cumbria. Often very warm but never proper hot. The race parking was in a field of damp grass where a shady corner in the lee of a hedge provided a perfect spot for Scamp to relax
The race started, and 50 metres later Ricky Lightfoot had a 10 metre lead. His winning time was 3 minutes clear of 2nd place. What a talent.
Ricky Lightfoot (talent). Chris Lewis (Photography)

I was front running the rest of the field briefly but by about 2k things began to thin out a bit. At 5k I hoped most of the hills were behind us but the biggest one of the course needed tackled at about 5.5. I was spent and unable to regain any lost time on the mainly downhill last few 'ks. Realising a 35 wasnt going to happen I was gutted to not even get a 36 as I crossed the line with 37:19.
Photo by Chris Lewis - very good
Later, when I saw the results I took a bit of heart from the fact that I was only 2 minutes behind Steve Hebblethwaite. I was 5 minutes behind him at the Northern XC champs earlier this year in a slightly longer race. I also got the first vet 40 prize and the mighty Border Harriers were first team with me in 8th, John Mason in 3rd his dad Graeme Mason in 5th. I'm gonna approach those to lads to see if they will change their names to Angus.
Tastiest race medal I have ever been given

After the event I popped along the A66 to stop in a great wee spot where Scamp can safely swim in the Lake (one of only one in the district) and pose in boats.
Photo by Steve Angus - bloody brilliant

No comments:

Post a Comment