As a youngster, I would get home from School, get changed and go out to play with my pals.
Now I'm older, I get home from work, get changed and go out to play with my pals, but now I call it training.

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

My 1st running shoes

First off - ignore the post title, it's an hilarious 'in joke'

Tuesday I ran the 14 mile circuit, and ran it well. Without my Garmin (or Millys when we run together) I have no way of knowing how fast I am running unless I stick to known circuits, and even then I have to do the calculation once I have completed the run and got a time for it. I knew that I was running fast though. A tailwind for the first few miles felt great but I still pressed on at a fair effort anyway, keen to capitalize. About halfway round I ate a gel before the 'big hill' was climbed, immediately beyond which the headwind was to be faced. It wasn't a strong wind but certainly a stiff breeze. The final 3 or 4 miles were tough going but I felt strong and pressed on hard. The last couple of miles through the town I felt I was invincible - indicating for cars to stop as they turned into roads whilst I blazed across the junction (luckily they always do). The final half mile features a decent climb which we often struggle up - I blasted up it on this occasion, and carried the effort over the summit and down the gradient to the finish line. I wish I had run further really, as I wasn't wasted by any means. It had been a perfect run, hard but not flat out. The calculation was done and revealed 6:13 pace, which will give me a 2:42 marathon if I can repeat the result (and do another 12.2miles on top).

Anything can happen between now and Marathon day. If the weather is warm and sunny I will struggle and will adjust my target by 5 minutes accordingly. But assuming all is as would hope for (drizzly rain, 13 dec C) I think it's realistic to set my target between 2:40-2:45.

No comments:

Post a Comment