As a youngster, I would get home from School, get changed and go out to play with my pals.
Now I'm older, I get home from work, get changed and go out to play with my pals, but now I call it training.

Monday, April 29, 2013

Duing it all over it again

I finished the TWA event at approx 1345 on Saturday. Nineteen and a bit hours later on Sunday morning I was standing on the start line ready to begin the Talking Tarn Duathlon....

As soon as I started running my legs felt BAAAD. After one mile I was running alongside lads who I had never ever ran with before. The bike was OK but it was a course with plenty of long straight bits of road where tri-bars were certainly of benefit, so, on my road bike, I got passed by half a dozen more lads. The last three passed me very near the end of the bike and as I neared transition I considered that if I could have a super quick changeover I might catch them on the final run. So I kept on my mountain bike boots (I dont have any cycling shoes) and ran the mile and a bit in them, catching those lads who'd recently overtaken me, and finishing in 10th place for the event.

I was only 13th after penalties though - 2 minutes added to my run 2 for not displaying a race number on my back during the cycle section. Reason? I hadn't enough pins in the van to attach both numbers and it didnt seem like a terribly important point. Rules is rules though and I accept the punishment - just like I accepted the 2 years on remand for kneecapping the race referee who DQ'd me in 2005.

It was an excellent day out and provided some short intense training on a day when I could never have done any justice to fellrunning and may otherwise have done nothing at all. I was lucky to be given my entry from the organisers following a couple of wee favours I've done for them, and I even blagged a quid off organiser Phil for the carpark.

I have to say though that the coffee from the Tarn cafe was the most complicated affair I've ever known. Tasted nice though.

No comments:

Post a Comment