As a youngster, I would get home from School, get changed and go out to play with my pals.
Now I'm older, I get home from work, get changed and go out to play with my pals, but now I call it training.

Saturday, July 17, 2010

Beware brain eating ants

On Wednesday I ran in the rain with Scamp - very refreshing, although we did shelter under a tree when the rain was at it's heaviest.

Earlier on Wednesday I had disturbed some ants during the course of my work. A few crawled on my arms and clothes which I brushed off. I was suddenly then aware of a serious pain in my right eye. I think an ant must have crawled onto my eyeball. I don't think it bit me as it wasnt a sharp pain - more like when you get soap in your eye only about 20 times worse, perhaps a reaction to the chemica's on the ants feet? Anyhowser, the pain soon went off and I was left with a bit of irritation in my eye from all the screwing up of my face and poking my eye in attempts to remove whatever was in it.

The next morning all seemed normal until about 5 minutes after getting out of bed when I was aware of a strange whooshing sound in my right ear accompanied by a constant feeling of aeroplane earpopping in both ears which wouldn't clear whatever I did and also the whole day long I had a strange woolly feeling like I wasn't really in my own body but possibly watching myself go about my daily business from just behind myself. I convinced myself that the ant must be alive inside my head and was busily eating its way through my brain. I kept closing one eye to check if I had gone yet gone blind in the other. That afternoon I constantly stumbled as I walked Scamp along the unevenly sloped river bank path.

By evening I was sure I was gonna be properly ill so I went to bed very early without doing any training. On Friday morning I awoke with the symptoms at about 5% of the level they were previously and during the day they went away completely. Panic over.

I'd hoped to get finished work sharp on Friday so I could go running in lieu of Thursday but I was late finishing and couldnt be bothered - also, it would have forced a plan change for the weekends training if I had done a reps session on Friday.

So to Saturday (today). Very wet weather and a blowy wind. Schedule said 12 miles at 6:10 pace. Without a means of measuring how far I am running unless I stick to known length routes I was going to have to either backtrack a lot on a short circuit or do the 10miler plus 2 one mile loops. Instead though I decided I may as well run my 13mile loop. It was always going to be a headwind home but for some reason I still don't really know I set off the opposite way round to usual. This meant that the final few miles were quite flat and very open to the wind, wheras if I had run my usual way round the final 4 miles would have featured a decent downhill and been in the town which is obviously much more sheltered by buildings and also has some direction changes to break up the persistent headwind. These are probably just lame excuses to justify why I took too long to complete the distance. 6:10 pace for 13 miles is 1:20:10. I ran 1:22:21 or about 6:20 pace.

Plucky and a few others are in Germany this weekend for their Ironman. Apparently it is red hot  - not ideal for a 10-15 hour event. My mate Popsy got a lift with his pal Brian. Brians car broke down enroute. Cost for taxi to get there? 550 euros! Makes the breakdown service membership seem cheap.

No comments:

Post a Comment