As a youngster, I would get home from School, get changed and go out to play with my pals.
Now I'm older, I get home from work, get changed and go out to play with my pals, but now I call it training.

Sunday, December 9, 2012

a la'al race


Because I'd already planned to do a long run on the Monday, (more on that later) I figured a race would be ideal training for the Saturday.

Kendal cross country was on, so I went along there to test my fitness.

Noting I am usually in about 40-50th place in the Mid Lancs XC meetings I reckoned top 75 would be acceptable on this occasion due to having done so little intense training in favour of all the long stuff over the fells.

I also was aware my achilles might flare up badly if I went crazy fast too soon so I deliberately started well away from the front line with the intention of picking up the pace once I was properly warmed up.

I only got about half way round lap 1 (of 4) when I grew tired of running under my ability. I pushed on much harder and constantly picked people off until about the end of lap 3 when my legs started to feel heavy. I still caught and passed a couple more in the last lap though and I was delighted to finish in 37th place from just over 200 starters.

In fact I enjoyed the whole thing  so much that I think I might do some more XC this winter. Yeah my achilles still hurts all the time but its not unbearable, so I may as well keep running, training and racing at the highest level I can while I still have what is obviously very good fitness.


Thanks to Gareth for the photos


No comments:

Post a Comment