As a youngster, I would get home from School, get changed and go out to play with my pals.
Now I'm older, I get home from work, get changed and go out to play with my pals, but now I call it training.

Saturday, October 6, 2012

In a world of pain

Every time I run it hurts.

The problem is my achilles tendons. The right one specifically but also the left one to a smaller degree. The physio says i should train as normal and as long as I do the strengthening exercises all will be well within a few months.

So I'm running, but not with the intensity of usual and to be honest my heart isnt really in it of late, not when it hurts so much. I know I am losing fitness and speed with each passing week but I am not too concerned about this because, although I was planning to throw everything into the pot to run a 55 minute 10 miler at Brampton, I AM still able to run, to run every day, and to be honest although it hurts, it doesn't hurt more afterwards. Sometimes it actually hurts less afterwards.

Plenty o' Helly to come this winter



Up the fells, my achilles pain simply vanishes. Perhaps its the softer underfoot conditions or the stretching of steep tough climbs or the ever varied position of footfalls. Whatever it is, I'm now intent on keeping up fellrunning right through the Autumn/Winter. Hopefully lots of very long days with many thousands of feet of ascent.

Two weeks from now I'm doing the Ennerdale 50k trail race. Then in December the 37 mile Tour de Helvellyn. Next year Im thinking of doing a lot more trail races, the longer the better. I'm doing the L50 again in July and will be aiming to beat 8 hours. I may NOT bother entering a road marathon until Autumn. That would make 2013 the first year since 2003 that hasn't included a long buildup from Christmas towards a Spring road marathon.

Theres a bit of an issue to all this fellrunning over the October-March period though. I prefer nice weather and light days.....   and Cumbria tends to have lots of poor weather and gets dark by 5pm  or sooner for months on end.

The small matter of Chester Marathon is tomorrow morning. My original goal was a low 2:40 or even sub 2:40. Following the injury and subsequent lack of fast determined running/sessions, I don't think the fitness is there to run that fast, and certainly not the belief needed to set off at 6:10 pace. So I'm gonna set off at about 6:30 pace (2:50 result) and see what happens.


Its felltime Champ
Laters.....

No comments:

Post a Comment