As a youngster, I would get home from School, get changed and go out to play with my pals.
Now I'm older, I get home from work, get changed and go out to play with my pals, but now I call it training.

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Like a moped or a bicycle

I want to train hard but my legs don't.

The race on Sunday went OK I suppose. It was very warm and sunny, my least favourite weather to run in (OK, yes, snow and icy wind is worse than hot sun but not by a huge margin). I took about 6 minutes longer than in 2010. The wind was into our faces for about the first hour, but when it was a tailwind we were dropping off the fellside and unable to run any faster due to the rough terrain. The course was also a minute or two longer than last year (when a diagonal line was taken to cut out a long corner). Nevertheless I think I should have ran a minute faster than I did. I felt rubbish from the very start and never felt like I was flying along eating up the road/track as I'd hoped to.

Since then I've done very little. Monday a short jog, Tuesday nothing at all, tonight another short jog

Wednesday we ran up Scafell Pike from Seathwaite. Plenty of steep walking sections on this route but interspersed with running breaks a little more often than the climb of Blencathra. I wasn't really up for this either. I allowed Stu and Steve Bennet to pull away from me as we climbed, then a quick jog to regain their heels every now and then so they knew I was still in contact.  The summit was bleak and cold but we had some tremendously atmospheric views as we descended the Corridor route back down.

Thinking ahead to the rest of 2011 I think I MAY NOT BOTHER with an autumn marathon this year.
I had decided it would be Amsterdam marathon in mid October, but I'm not sure I can be bothered with the upturn in training July through September. I will almost certainly still do Langdale marathon however, but reckon I will be able to wing it without the specific training.

And a little nearer, this weekend in fact, I have to decide between a 30 mile event on Saturday over many  many summits, or an 8 mile blast on Sunday, up just one - Skiddaw. The 30 mile event has to be entered by teams of three (for safety I presume) so if I can't get two others interested (Scamp doesn't count in the 3 - and he's got no choice anyway).



Too (tyred) tired

No comments:

Post a Comment