As a youngster, I would get home from School, get changed and go out to play with my pals.
Now I'm older, I get home from work, get changed and go out to play with my pals, but now I call it training.

Friday, March 2, 2012

A long weight for a pudding

I'm a skinny bloke, I know that. When I was a late teenager and starting to get into bike racing I was just under 10 and a half stones. When I quit biking and got into running I tended to hover at just over the 10.5. A few years ago I noted my weight begin to creep upwards and then it passed 11 stones. When it got to be always AT LEAST 11st 3lb I decided I needed to do something to arrest this trend. I gave up eating junk for a couple of months and soon returned to 10.5 stones.

Last year I again gave up the cakes and sweets etc whilst training for London - resuming about 3 weeks prior to race day to ensure I didnt go into the race too light.

Of late I have noted I am approaching 11st again and so in a bid to ensure I dont reach that target, and to live a bit more healthily, I have put myself on a diet for all of March. I suppose its not really a diet in the proper sense because I still eat as much as I want  - sometimes as much as I can - waistbands are often loosened post Sunday roast!

Its the chocolate, sweets, cakes, puddings and lager that I am giving up. The lager wont be difficult, I only average about one can per week, but I do tend to pig out on the other things on a daily basis. Yesterday was the first day and by nine oclock at night I had the serious munchies - a bowl of cereal filled the gap where a large bar of chocolate, some christmas cake and a slice of gateaux would previously have been called upon.

In other news - I have broken in a new pair of New Balance for the marathon. I'll use them for this weekends 20 mile race and also my longest run a couple of weeks later, just to ensure they throw up no problems. I have also chosen which shorts to wear on the day. A favourite pair of socks will be chosen soon then kept aside to ensure they do not get threadbare before the race. I also think I have sorted my in-race gel consumption. So, another month of flogging myself round the ever lighter streets of sunny Carlisle and I will be set. Following the race in two days time I should know what kind of time might be a realistic target.

No comments:

Post a Comment